Wire Mesh Cloth has a infinite range of applications. In the domestic environment it is used in many applications for example; tea strainers, flour sieves, coffee filters, fireguards and fly screens.
It is incorporated into many domestic appliances, in filters for motor cars, and is used in the manufacturing processes for floor coverings, chipboard, hardboard and other building materials.
In the industrial environment it has countless applications. As a precision woven product the ability to maintain accuracy of aperture size offers enormous scope for the use of wirecloth as a filtration and screening medium for a variety of particle/fluid/gas separation cleaning and sizing applications.
Wirecloth has wide ranging characteristics, and dependant on the configuration of wire thickness in relation to aperture size, can vary in texture from being as fine, soft and flexible as silk to being as rigid and durable as steel plate. Many of the properties of wirecloth are not available using alternative metal media (such as expanded and perforated metals) or synthetic meshes.
Wire cloth offers many benefits including:
- widest range of filtration, from over 6 inch aperture down to 1 micron nominal
- high open area/flow rate
- closely controlled, accurate apertures
- smooth surface; screening surface has no sharp edges, burrs or acute angles
- very high temperature tolerance (variable according to metal selected)
- usable under high pressure
- flexible – ideal for forming rigid concave/convex shapes
- control of chemical/acid/corrosion resistance using different metals
- special aperture requirements can be met without high tooling costs
- high durability
- self supporting
- suitable as support for less rigid media
- stable under tension
- weaving process uses no punching or piercing operations that create stress induced weaknesses
- point contact only on screened product allows freer screening and reduced blinding
In addition to applications in filtration and separation equipment, woven wirecloth is widely used for reinforcement and strengthening, ventilation screening,radio and micro-wave screening, screen printing,transportation belts, speaker grilles, plastic extrusion, optical lens manufacture, catalysts, precious metal recovery, flame, heat and light diffusion, vacuum forming, spark protection, security screens, battery manufacture, and many many more.
There can be few industries where wirecloth does not have a part to play, and with the Company’s wide experience there are few industries that Locker have not supplied. Some applications of our woven wire mesh are listed below: